Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Priest and the Peaches by James Peterson

Synopsis:


Historical fiction novel set in the Bronx in the mid-1960s

Take a seven day journey with the five, newly orphaned Peach kids, as they begin their struggle to remain a family while planning their dad's funeral.

They find an ally in the local parish priest, Father Tim Sullivan, who tries his best to guide them through the strange, unchartered and turbulent waters of "grown-up world." A story that is sad, funny, and inspiring as it shows how the power of family love and faith can overcome seemingly insurmountable obstacles.



My Review:



The Priest and the Peaches is a novel about 5 children who are suddenly orphaned. The book opens with the death of their father and covers approximately one week. Their mother had passed away a few years previously.

Teddy is the oldest. He is 18 and a Carpenters apprentice. When Pops dies, he becomes the head of the family. It's not easy and he makes mistakes but he does learn.

Joanie is the 2nd oldest at 17. She is still finishing high school. She has a boyfriend named Scratch and they are planning to get married.

Dancer is 14 years old. He's got an attitude and wants to do his own thing.

Beeker is 10 and Joey is 6. They are active and rambunctious boys.

Father Sullivan is their local priest and friend of their father's. He takes them under his wing and helps them through this difficult time.

This book takes place over the course of the week. During that week their father dies, the funeral takes place, they learn they have no money, and their family is almost torn apart. They also learn that God truly does provide for those who trust in him.

I loved this book. Even through difficult times they were still able to find the humor in most situations. I like that because that's what I do. These children also knew their father in one light but after his death began to see that he was much, much more. Unfortunately they also learned that their father was not perfect. Even though he was a good friend to others and gave good advice, he did not take his own advice.

There are some religious themes in this book. I learned a bit about the Catholic faith. Other themes were that God does provide, to love your neighbor, and to help others.

I highly recommend this book.

3 comments:

  1. I read this book as well. I loved it. I think we can all use a little more LYN in our lives. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, I'm so glad you liked it. And thanks for mentioning how Teddy and Joanie, especially, came to learn that their father was a human being as well as a parent. I think that's one of the crucial lessons of growing up and Larry handles it just right in the story.

    Gina, I'm with you - we can all use a little extra L-Y-N, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura---just wanted to thank you for featuring my book and for the great review. I really do appreciate it. Best wishes to you and I will also remember you in my prayers.
    Larry Peterson

    ReplyDelete

This blog is an award free blog. Thank you for thinking about me but I am unable to participate at this time.