Thursday, February 2, 2012

Perfect Chemistry (Perfect Chemistry #1) by Simone Elkeles





Goodreads Summary:


A fresh, urban twist on the classic tale of star-crossed lovers.
When Brittany Ellis walks into chemistry class on the first day of senior year, she has no clue that her carefully created “perfect” life is about to unravel before her eyes. She’s forced to be lab partners with Alex Fuentes, a gang member from the other side of town, and he is about to threaten everything she's worked so hard for—her flawless reputation, her relationship with her boyfriend, and the secret that her home life is anything but perfect. Alex is a bad boy and he knows it. So when he makes a bet with his friends to lure Brittany into his life, he thinks nothing of it. But soon Alex realizes Brittany is a real person with real problems, and suddenly the bet he made in arrogance turns into something much more.  In a passionate story about looking beneath the surface, Simone Elkeles breaks through the stereotypes and barriers that threaten to keep Brittany and Alex apart.


My Review:



Perfect Chemistry is the story of Brittany and Alex. She is the perfect student who lives in the nice area of town. Alex lives on the wrong side of the tracks and is a member of the gang. At beginning of senior year they become chemistry partners and both of them have to learn to overcome the prejudices that they each have against the other. This story is told from both of their point of view.

I absolutely loved book. I wasn't sure what to think at 1st but I was quickly drawn into the story. Neither person is really how they seem on the outside and they both had to learn how to put their differences aside.

I really liked Brittany. She had an older sister Shelley who had cerebral palsy. She loved her sister more than anything and wanted to take care of her. She had cultivated perfect image and not let anybody at school know the person behind the image. Her parents continually threatened to send Shelley away and tried to control her that way.

I think the reason I love Brittany so much is because I could relate to her in so many ways. My younger brother also has cerebral palsy and I grew up helping to take care of him. My mother also wanted everything to appear perfect.

Alex is a very smart young man. He wanted to do well in school but do to circumstances beyond his control he was in a gang. He wanted to protect his family which is why he was in the gang. He hoped that he could keep his brothers out of the gang. He was a bad boy on the surface but underneath it all he was a good guy. I also loved that he rode a motorcycle that he had rebuilt himself.

I loved the way everything worked out in this book. I wasn't sure that it would work out. They both had a lot to overcome. I cried a lot but it was in a good way.

1 comment:

This blog is an award free blog. Thank you for thinking about me but I am unable to participate at this time.